June 10, 2016


Q: How do I get my Education Benefits started?

A: You must apply for your educational benefits through the VA online at vabenefits.vba.va.gov. For eligibility or payment history questions visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage. Then prior to each semester a Certificate of Eligibility must be completed and emailed to veterans@syr.edu. If you have any questions regarding your education benefits you may email SU's Veteran Advisor, Kieth Doss, at veterans@syr.edu or call (315)443-3261 to make an appointment with the Veterans Resource Center.

Q: I have a parent who is a veteran. How can I receive VA education benefits because of their service time?
Q: I'm a new student and/or freshman. What do I need to know?

A: Start at our guide for new students.

Q: How long does it take for me to start receiving money from my VA benefits?

A: The Office of the Registrar certifies students' enrollments to the VA in the order requests are received. After you submit your paperwork it takes approximately 15 business days for the university to certify it to the VA. Afterwards, it takes the VA another 30 – 45 days to process your GI Bill award.

Q: Can I qualify for financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?

A: Yes. Apply for financial aid through www.fafsa.ed.gov. Amounts and eligibility will vary per student. If you only qualify for loans, you have the option to decline them.
Q: Can I receive credit for my military training?

A: It is possible but it is up to the school to accept your military training according to your degree plan. Your first step would be to send your JST, VMET, and other college transcript (if applicable) to the SU Admissions office.

Q: How can I help the Student Veterans Organization with their goals?

A: There are many ways that are equally appreciated.

  1. Encourage Veterans and Veterans' supporters to check out our website, forum section, and resources.

  2. Donate what you can and feel is right and get listed with other epic donors.

  3. Become a sponsor to show your support for Veterans (and get added publicity and backlinks to your domain).

  4. Contact us via e-mail or call us at (315) 443-9297 with ideas if you're shy.

Q: How can I stay up-to-date with the Student Veterans Organization away from SVOSU.org?

A: You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter and join our mailing list and export our Events Calendar.

Q: How many credit hours must I have to be considered fulltime?

A: You must take a minimum of 12 credit hours a semester during the spring and fall and 9 credit hours during the summer to be classified as fulltime.

Q: Do you have any cool merchandise to represent the SVO ?

A: Yes ! We have short and long sleeve cotton shirts for sale ranging from $15-$20. You can order online or drop in to the lounge to purchase one.

Q: Who maintains this website?

A: A group of awesome SU Student Veterans and Veterans' supporters. Want to help? Contact the President here. iSchool students can achieve 3-6 credit hours for internship work via IST 471.

Q: Can I waive international experience as an iSchool student?

A: Yes, talk with your academic counselor for the form.

Q: Can I take courses during the winter break?

A: Yes, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will cover winter courses alongside the following spring semester. You can search for courses on Winter.syr.edu.

Q: Are there any scholarships I can apply to?

A: Yes, there's an ever-growing list on our Resources page.

Q: Are there academic advisers specifically for Vetearns?

A: Yes. The Veterans Resources Center Staff and Advising Staff focus on Veterans' success at SU.
Q: Who do I contact for help with housing?

A: Feel free to contact us with any questions regarding the best and worst locations. Read more about your options at VRC.syr.edu.

Q: Who can I contact for employment and job search?

A: VetSuccess counselor Katherine Untiedt and Jennifer Pluta can help you with your job search, resume, and more.

Q: Is Syracuse University school a Yellow Ribbon School?

A: Yes. You can read about the Yellow Ribbon Program at FinancialAid.syr.edu, the 2016-17 participation award, and the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
Q: Does Syracuse University accept American Counsel of Education (ACE) credits for military experience?

A: ACE credits from the Joint Service Transcript are recommendations and the school is not required to accept those recommendations. If you have questions regarding this, contact the Veterans Resources Center Advising Staff.
Q: Why won’t the university transfer the credits I received during my time in service (TIS) toward the degree I am applying for?

A: Each individual college within Syracuse University accepts different credits from your JST, VMET, CLEP, and other documents depending on your field of study and school policies. For more assistance, contact Emileen Butler from theVeterans Resources Center.
Q: Are there online undergraduate degrees available?

A: Yes. You can earn a Bachelor of Professional Studies 120-credit degree or 15-credit certificate in Creative Leadership or Knowledge Management. Both programs can be completed entirely online or with a combination of online and on-campus courses. The programs are open for PartTime.syr.edu study only. You can also check out other degrees and certificates at PartTime.syr.edu.
Q: Are veterans treated differently? Will students have a problem with a veteran in their class?

A: Overall, Syracuse University greatly supports veterans. Anything less would NOT represent the entirety of SU community.
Q: Where can I see all the student organizations within Syracuse University?

A: Check out OrgSync.com.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in our new forums section or contact us.